Internationally acclaimed music recording studio in amsterdam
Legendary for its great sounding drums and overall ambience and acoustics. 24/7 service for all your recording- and writing sessions. Recording, mixing and mastering in all genres, and excellent for recording bands in a live setting.
There are two iso-booths available, a keys corner with an upright Yamaha piano, our Hammond + Leslie and, Rhodes piano and Juno 106, plus lots of space for drums, guitar amps etc. (Check our equipment).
We’ve created a comfortable domestic atmosphere in which the recording artists can relax and work without any stress or peer pressure. Gear, facilities and location of a recording studio are important, but good vibes and a lotta love are what music really needs. And stories. We happen to have lots of them that might spark your creativity.
Scroll along down this page to get to know more about our services, clients, projects and equipment and use the menu for more info on our label Six Def Records, live sessions and reviews. Or just drop by for a coffee and a chat!
, the IJland Studio crew
‘I’ve never seen a studio like this. As soon as you step in you feel the vibe. And the drums sound absolutely amazing, beyond what you would expect.’
great stories are always in the making
Introducing: the essential bingo blues groove band Les Biftecs. Debut single out now on our label Six Def Records.
The second single release by our boys from Bull on EMI.
The third single by The Klittens. Released on Geertruida, also available on the cassette ‘Pigeonhole’ featuring all three IJland recordings.
That’s right! Bull has been catapulted from our label Six Def Records and Young Thugs agency in York to EMI. Check out the debut single Green.
TalkingTrees is a project by Bert Barten and a collaboration between artists, musicians, scientists and nature lovers.
Debut album by Spinning Coin mixed by Remko for Domino Recording Co. / Geographic Music.
Serial Chiller’s debut EP, released under our label Six Def Records. Cracking with the distorted pressures of daily life, each track bursts with a frantic energy, frustrated by the cult of helplessness that shadows the UK.
Lead singer Hans Bos of Soft Parade returns with a new album under the name MonThruSun in close collaboration with Remko.
Wasted Youth Club from Arnhem have released their first single. We can easily say this was one of the most successful collaborations of 2019.
Acclaimed music recording studio since 1986. Renowned for its acoustics, ambience and great sounding drums. Bull, Eno, Khruangbin, Malkmus, Molina..
What we offer in and outside our recording studio
We record everything with experience in every genre, from pop/rock/indie bands, jazz ensembles, classical music, singer/songwriter, hip-hop, film music etc. We're big advocates of recording acts in a live setting, including the studio's awesome and beloved acoustics and funky room sound. The studio is decked out with multiple iso booths with windows, enabling the recording artists to still see one another while playing. So if desired we'll record all instruments simultaneously and isolated without them bleeding into each other. This not only results in catching the vibe of playing together, but also the possibility to do retakes on individual instruments later on without compromises, all to keep the vibe alive.
Mixing + Mastering
Wether it's Pop, Rock, Indie, Folk, Classical, Reggae or any other gerne that we love, and wether it's recorded in our studio, a homestudio or anywhere else, our engineers will mix your songs to your liking, at any given time or deadline.
After our 2017 refurb, we now have a linear response acoustically treated top notch mastering studio.
Writing | Pre-Production | Rehearsal
IJland Studio is a great place for writing, pre-production and rehearsals. Special deals are available in combination with recording sessions upon request.
Recording On Location
We love the acoustics, location and vibes of our studio, but we're also keen to record in different special locations.
Experience and know how is a must. When available, Paul or Remko will make your band sound sexy in about any location. Examples of cliënts we've worked for:
And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead | Caesar | Canshaker Pi | The Cribs | The Grand East | Mogwai | Palace Brothers (Bonnie "Prince" Billy) | Pavement | Silver Jews | Spiral Stairs | Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks | St. Tropez | zZz
No matter what your ambition is, we'll help out to figure out what the next step can be in combination with our extensive network. Band coaching sessions are an extra service at no extra charge.
Record label & Publishing
Check out our Six Def Records and Free House Publishing page.
A selection of recordings that are available on Spotify. Tracks are recorded, mixed and / or mastered at IJland Studio.
We boast with good recordings, great stories and our famous creative atmosphere rather than gear, but we can't deny we love our stuff. A beautiful marriage between analog beauty and digital amazement.
RECORDING + PROCESSING
- Toft ATB16 32 channel in-line mixing console
- 2x Universal Audio Apollo 16 Quad audio interface
- Apple (Retina 5K, 27-inch, late 2015) 4 Ghz Intel Core i7, 32GB 1867Mhz DDR3
- API 3124+ quad mic pre-amp
- Kush Audio Electra 500 (2x)
- Lindell Audio 6x500 pre’s w/Pulteq EQ (2x)
- Lindell Audio 7x500 (1176 style comps) (2x)
- Neve 1073 mic pre-amp
- Purple Audio LilEQpr (500 Pultec EQ)
- Siemens V276 vintage mic pre-amps (7x)
- Tube Tech LCA2B stereo compressor
- Tube Tech SSA 2B Summing Amp
- UA 6176 valve pre-amp/comp channel strip
- Universal Audio Apollo 8 Quad Thunderbolt 2 audio interface
- Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) 3,6 Ghz 10-Core Intel Core i9, 32GB 2667 Mhz DDR4
- ART TCS Dual Compresso
- BSS DPR-404 Quad Channel Compressor
- TL Audio VI1 8 Channel Valve Interface
- Genelec 1031A
- PSI A17-M
- Yamaha NS-10
- KRK Rokit 6 G1 + Genelec 7050C sub
- TANNOY System 12 DMT
- Avantone MixCube
DAW + EFFECTS + PLUGINS
- Pro Tools 2020
- Logic Pro X
- Ableton Live 10
- Cubase 10
- Universal Audio DSP plug-ins (Neve; Pultec; Fairchild; Urei; Manley; SSL; Teletronix; Distressor etc.)
- Waves Mercury Bundle
- Soundtoys Everything Bundle
- FabFilter Everything Bundle
- iZotope Neutron 3, Nectar 3, Ozone 8
- Antares Autotune
- oeksound Soothe 2
- IK Multimedia T-RackS 5
- Akai S3000XL
- Fostex 3180 Spring Reverb
- Lexicon PCM 70 + 80
- Pearl Vorg Echo Orbit 1 Model EO-301
- Roland SDE-330 Dimensional Space Delay
- Roland Space Echo (2x)
- SIMMONS SDS-1000
- Yamaha SPX90 II
- AKG D112
- Sennheiser MD 21U (2x)
- Sennheiser MD 421 (3x)
- Shure SM 7
- Shure SM 58 (4x)
- Shure SM 57 (6x)
- Shure ß 57
- Shure ß 56a
- Shure ß 58
- AKG 414B-ULS (pair)
- AKG CK451 (4x)
- Neumann U87
- Røde K2 Tube
- Røde NT5 (pair)
- Sennheiser MD 441
- Shure KSM 44
- Shure ß 87
- Shure KSM 137 (pair)
- Beyer Dynamic M160 (2x)
- RCA 77*** (available upon request)
- Royer 121
MIDI devices + software
- Arturia Keylab MKII
- Native Instruments MASCHINE Controller
- Novation Remote 61SL
- Alesis Q49
- Arturia V Collection 7 & Analog Lab 4 & Piano V2
- Native Instruments KOMPLETE 11 ULTIMATE
- XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2
- Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Kit
- Snare drums: Ludwig Custum Gold Sparkle Snare 14" x 5" | Pearl Export EXL Snare 14" x 5,5" | Arai 70's mahogony 14" x 5,5"
- Cymbals: K Zildjian Hihat 14" top+bottom; Light Hihat 15" top; Custom Special Dry Crash 17"; Custom Session Ride 20" | Paiste Rude Sound Edge Hihat 15" set | Pearl Ride 20"
- Lots of percussion (Guiro, thumb piano, shakers, rainstick etc.)
- Yamaha U1 Piano
- Rhodes Stage Piano Mark II Seventy Three
- Hammond X5 + Leslie
- Hohner Organa 12
- Farfisa VIP 200R
- Roland Juno 106
- Roland D-20
- Nord Rack Virtual Analog
- Yamaha DX7
- Yamaha P-90 Stage Piano
- Fender Stratocaster Deluxe (2000)
- Squier by Fender Telecaster (1983)
- Gibson Explorer (2019)
- Gibson Firebird VII (2001)
- Epiphone FT-30 a.k.a 'Gladyss' caballero (1963)
- Epiphone FT-160N twelve-string (1976)
- Yamaha FG-200 western (1975)
- Yamaha G-50A classical (1969)
- Egmond Princess semi-hollow (1964)
- Squier Precision (2004)
- Eko BA-4 fretless acoustic (1981)
- Cremona bowl back mandolin, mid 20th century, made in Czechoslovakia
- Mahalo six-string ukelele guitar
- Ampeg B2
- Ashdown Engineering Five 15
- Fender Pro Junior Tweed PR-257 1x10"
- Fender Twin Reverb, 2x12" JBL D120F Orange Basket (1978)
- Marshall JMP 2144, 2x12" Celestion (G12M20 + G12H15) (1979)
- Music Man 212-HD One Thirty, 2x12" (1977)
- Orange Micro Crush
- Pignose Hog 20
- VOX AC15H1TV 50th Anniversary Heritage 1x12" Celestion Alnico Blue
- Analogman Peppermint Fuzz
- BOSS Super Overdrive SD-1
- Catalinbread Echorec
- Colorsound Fuzz
- Death by Audio Echo Dream 2
- Death by Audio Fuzz War
- Digitech Whammy V
- Dunlop Fuzz Wah
- Dunlop Fuzz Face Mini
- EHX Bad Stone Phaser
- EHX Sovtek "Green Russian" Big Muff Pi
- Ernst Model 1 OD / Tube Screamer
- Ernst Wiresurfer
- Ernst Booster
- FLEAK The Rebel
- FLEAK The Rover
- Ibanez Flanger FL-301
- Jen Cry Baby Wah
- Malekko Ekko 616
- Malekko Spring Chicken
- Mike Matthews’ Soul Kiss
- Pignose Piggy In A Box
- Rob Dower's Axeamps Alto Saturator
- Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe
- TC Electronic Ditto Looper
- Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-8L
- Bell Voice/Talk box (Foxy)
- BOSS Dr. Rythm DR-55
- Casio SK-1 Sampling Keyboard
- Casio VL-Tone 5
- Electro Harmonix Crash Drum
- Roland MC-202 Micro Composer
- Roland MC-505 Groove Box
- Roland Rhytm Arranger
- STEIM Cracklebox 01
- Yamaha VSS 200 Voice Sampler
Contact, pricing, parking
IJland Studio / Six Def Records
1019 EM Amsterdam, The Netherlands
+31204186450 | firstname.lastname@example.org
The recording studio is located in the former east harbour of Amsterdam, right on the IJ-lake. There’s a shopping area accross the street. Directly above the studio there’s the great bar/restaurant Bombarie, where you can enjoy excellent food and drinks at a special studio rate.
After all this showing-off about our recording studio you might think we’re expensive, but artists are starving and we’re not just in it for the money. A day recording and/or mixing is €350. Special rates apply from five days studio time onwards.
For tailor made quotes, info on special deals and availability, call us on +31204186450 (or send us an e-mail) Prices are ex. BTW
Our recording studio is easy to reach as it’s located right off the Amsterdam A10 ring road. Take exit s114 and follow the signs for Centrum. When you exit the Piet Hein tunnel, take a right at the lights, next lights right again. This street is called Oostelijke Handelskade. After 300 meters the studio is on your right, opposite the Jumbo and next to the Lloyd Hotel, in the same building as Café-bar Bombarie. There’s a Kornuit sign on the corner of our building.
For easy parking after you’ve loaded in your gear, you can park your vehicle on the Oostelijke Handelskade. Parking fees apply. Visitors swinging by to drop of gear or people can park in the parking garage underneath shopping centre Brazillië. First hour and a half is free of charge. The parking garage closes @ 22:00 Parking for longer than one day is possible here: www.parkeren-amsterdam.com/pr-zeeburg The fee is € 8,– p.d. including a tramticket.